Monday, April 16, 2007

Scrap Slump? Are the 'Glory' days of Scrapping gone?

I took a trip to Pat Catan's this weekend. I wasn't in the market for any additional scrap stash, I was just in the area, saw the sign, and pulled into the driveway.

I remember the good old days of PC shopping. The scrapbooking/stamping aisles were always full of people picking over their scrapbooking goodies, lugging loaded baskets around while they searched out the next great deal. And THAT was happening in the middle of the week during lunch!

I went in this weekend and had I wanted anything scrapbooking related, I could've had my choice of aisles to plop down and lay claim to. I spoke to an associate that was in the process of moving some items to the clearance bins upstairs. She informed me that they have been noticing a decline in scrapbooking sales/interest over the past 3 or 4 months. She also informed me that they've recieved smaller quatities of the scrapbooking/papercrafting magazines that they used to have and now instead of having a rack full of them, you have to search them out on aisle hangers. I figured that she was either not a scrapbooker or not one who had an expanded database of online scrap communities from which to garner knowledge. Why? Because she said, "we just can't figure out why...".

I looked around the store and sure enough, there were people everywhere. In the floral department, in the woodcrafting sections, painting section, and the bead section was packed, so I didn't even bother. There seemed to be a lot of people shopping that day (I know this because I stood in line for 10 minutes to buy a bucket of plastic foamie shapes for my daughter), but nobody was flocking to the scrapbooking area. Trust me, I've been going to that store for almost 2 years now and it was truly an anamoly.

All of this brought to mind the possibility of the industry truly drying up. I know that there is a constant influx of new (and not so new) product, but what does this mean if people aren't buying it? Is everyone really shopping online? I swung over to Joanne's after Pat's and it was pretty much the same story there.

I like to think that the negativity in the industry is small potatoes when compared to the other issues that could be having an impact on the register sales of all things scrapbooking:

*Too much too similar product by too many too similar designers/companies.
*Over priced/packaged products that just don't offer the bang for the buck feature that many scrapbookers look for.
*A decrease of the number of people who are trying to be published and a return to the basics with an emphasis on using one's existing stash first and foremost. Perhaps these people made a habit of running out and buying the latest and greatest while they were persuing publishing?
*A small scale exodus from the scrapooking hobby by people who either have given it up or no longer have time for the hobby.
*Growing dissatisfaction with the industry as a whole and the major magazine's as a facet.
*The ability to get more for less from online store.


I've noticed that even for myself, all of those factors have had an impact on how much scrapbooking I do. I no longer pursue publishing or DT work and I have the freedom of creation that I've always wanted. I really don't care one way or the other if the industry implodes... I think it's overdue anyway. Am I worried that when I finally go through my stash that I won't be able to replenish my supplies? Nope, I'll probably wind up selling off my stuff before I get to that point... or I'll be scrapping until I'm 80.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen too much slacking off where I am, but then I'm in Utah ;) But where I lived until last October, I know that stores were closing and the LSS where I taught has had to move to a smaller and cheaper location because they just weren't making as much money anymore (partly bad business savvy, partly local economics).

I think the stash thing is a big part of it. Also, sure, there's a lot of great new product out there, but it all looks the same. I don't have any desire to get all the new stuff from 3 different companies because I can pick a little from each and be happy while ultimately buying less than I did before. And, I think that we've gone pretty much to the edge of what's truly innovative in scrapbooking and so a lot of the time I look at the new "creative" embellishments and think, yeah right.

I actually rarely shop online anymore. I buy some stuff locally, and that's pretty much it. That's also a budgetary concern. I'm trying to cut back and the fact that a) I have a huge stash and b) all the new stuff is either too similar to stuff I already have or just doesn't inspire me is making that very easy.

One other thing I just thought of, digital / hybrid. This is really taking off, and this part, at least, IS online. I know that I've gotten into it. I go online to buy brushes and kits. The bigger this gets (and it's only getting bigger) the more it could potentially hurt the B&M Paper scrapping businesses. Why buy a set of stamps or some rubons when I can download something similar for cheaper without leaving my house and use it over and over in any color, unlike rubons (and I know they won't flake off!)

Not that I don't want to keep seeing new product, I do still buy the new stuff that I love. So I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too ;) It's just become basic economics. Supply and demand, decreasing marginal returns, etc. (or something like that. lol).

Anonymous said...

Well I've been on this spending freeze with a couple of my friends :) so that has really curbed my desire to buy the latest and greatest Now that I've done it for so long I realize that I don't NEED anything...I have SO much crap to use up as it is. And I get a monthly kit club and that seems to curb my appetite for anything new.

As far as the scrapbook world on the whole? I agree with the above poster...so much looks the SAME. Why bother? and I'm REALLY tired of big patterns and flowers...so I can leave those right where they are.

I too like the freedom to just create without the pressure of creating a publishable masterpiece everytime...this also helps with the buying..I don't NEED to anymore as I'm not going in that direction. Okay..totally rambled and probably didn't make much sense. Deal with it. :)

Anonymous said...

The industry is doing itself in with 3 or 4 new releases each year. Lss can not keep up with the new product and still stay in business. The minimum order for papers is a 25 pack and many of the companies have upped their reorder minimum.

Magazines have reinforced that only 'pubbed' scrappers have any validity and many lss now have focused on "names" teaching rather than the local talent.

Only the consumer can change this...vote with your money, honey! If you don't like how a company works, if you don't like how a magazine promotes, if you don't
like how a contest is run....don't promote that company/magazine and don't buy the product and tell your friends.

Big clue here: we are the 'voice' behind the industry and we can make a difference.