Monday, April 9, 2007

What exactly is "success" in scrapbooking?

If ever there was a loaded scrapbooking query, this would have to be it.

What determines whether or not a scrapbooker is a 'success'? Is there such a thing as success in scrapbooking? If there is, does that also mean that there is such a thing as failure in scrapbooking? How can a success or failure meter be attached to memory recording?

In my little world, I consider myself to be a failure in the scrapbooking aspect of my life. Not because I lack adequate magazine publications or because I have a Twiggy thin scrap resume. No, I consider myself a failure because I have the attention span of a puppy with 6 tails when it comes to crafting. I bead, I sew, I scrapbook, I draw, I write and I am always looking for new ways to spread my creative spirit thin. My loss in the popularity poll is personal and is not influenced by external opinions. I think that would be the perfect time to add that I am a Gemini and therefore blame my constant need for change on my mother and father's timing.

Outside of my little warped world, that is always talk of so and so being a successful scrapper and so and so predicted to fail in his/her endeavours. Every time I read about the successes and failures in scrapbooking I do a Scooby Doo, complete with cocked head (huh?). We are preserving memories...or at least I thought we were. Some people have taken it a step further to include purposefully attempting to inspire others by their memory preservation skills. Still others have opened different avenues within the memory preservation metropolis for us to explore. Are they successful because they are 'known'? Is it the fact that they have moved their focus outside their personal sphere of existence (sort of)? Is it the fact that they are sought after?

In a perfect world, the success of a scrapbooker (providing such a thing exists) would be gaged not by whether the masses believe that person to be successful, but rather on whether or not that scrapbooker feels that they have attained all that they set out to attain. Once weight is given to the peer opinion, we are met with the dilemma of conflict between the people who feel that we're brilliant and those who think we need to hang out in a little padded room. When the determining factor of success is the number of people (outside of family/friends) who like what we do, I think we set ourselves up to be affected by the opinions of the people who don't like our creations.

What the heck am I talking about? Beats me, I'm just trying to clear out some mental clutter, so bear with me.

I remember in grade school I had this thing about collecting bugs. I was a shy child, so I didn't make friends easily, particularly because friends generally want you to talk to them and I wasn't fond of talking to people. I would spend my recess period behind school buildings collecting bugs and playing with them. Eventually I was joined by another socially reclusive kid, I think his name was Michael, and we would spend countless recesses collecting bugs together. I don't recall speaking more than 10 words to that kid during the school year. One day, a girl named MaryJo discovered what I was doing behind the building and brought her band of guppies along to do it too. I remember feeling popular because I there were a bunch of kids looking for bugs behind buildings with me. I was validated and I didn't have to change a bit! MaryJo and her band were rather talkative so naturally their fascination with me wore off pretty quickly. One Monday afternoon, MJ and the guppies confronted me and told me how stupid I was for collecting pill bugs and proceeded to snatch my little paper box and dump out the contents and stomp on the bugs that I'd put in it. That was the first time that I began to feel bad about doing what I liked to do. I stopped collecting bugs a few days after that and took to sitting on the sidelines on the playground.
The point isn't that I was doing something wrong. It's not even that I being a recluse is a bad thing. The point of my story is that up until the point where I gaged the validity of what I was doing on the opinion of someone else, I was happy doing it. The second that they withheld validation, I felt 'less than'.

I think that a similar phenomena is plaguing the scrapbooking arena. How many times have you read a disclaimer from someone posting in a gallery that states that their work isn't perfect or that a layout isn't their all time favorite? How many times have you heard people say that they aren't good at scrapbooking?

Being good or successful in scrapbooking, to me is a misnomer that does little to embrace the founding intent of scrapbooking. I'd rather that someone base their success (if they must speak in terms of success or failure) on whether they have accomplished what they set out to do with their craft, not on whether or not others feel that they are worthy. I had a publishing goal for a quick minute a while ago. I told myself that I would try to get published. I almost walked away because it wasn't happening for me. I began to compare the work of other published scrappers with mine own and came to the conclusion that I wasn't good enough, trendy enough, or versatile enough. I let others (unknowingly) set my standard for success, and I almost walked away from scrapbooking because I felt like a failure. It wasn't until my husband, in a brief moment of brilliance, explained to me that I was indeed a success because I did try to get published. That pearl of wisdom coupled with the overwhelming acceptance of my work from friends and family brought my way of thinking around full circle. I didn't toss my stash in the fire place. I didn't declare to the world that I'd quit. I didn't give up something that I love doing.
Instead I stepped away from that goal and reprioritized. I don't feel like a failure for not having been published, and after spending a lot of time evaluating what I want to get out of this, I've realized that I don't want to be published. I just want to be appreciated. I got that and I'm happy with it.

Now if I could just get a set of blinders maybe I could get some pages done.

There is nothing wrong with attributing success to the number of publications one has or how sought after a scrapper is, but there are dangers in it. The most significant of the perils resides in the arena of public opinion, and we all know how fickle that lot can be. When external factors weigh in on our success meters we put ourselves at the mercy of others. I personally find more inspiration in the scrapbooker who continues to keep doing what he/she is doing regardless of the level of appreciation/acceptance the masses grants him/her. My selfish perspective has allowed me to avoid the trend traps and the validation wars that are running rampant now.

And I like it that way... I like it a lot.

I am the last person to dictate what a person should or shouldn't do with their craft. We all have to do what is right for us. All I can do is hope that oneday, we will be able to stop grading each other's work because it truly is a gift to be able to see value in our differences.

TFR (thanks for reading)
CS

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Success in the scrap industry can be defined two ways in my humble opinion: name recognition and the amount of income you can generate. Personal success is a whole other ball of wax. To most of my friends, if they complete an album, that is success. If they are having fun scrapping, that is a success. Most don't subscribe to any scrap mags and have no idea who a "name" would be.

The Conscious Scrapbooker said...

So what I am gleaming is that success in scrapbooking has 2 platforms? Commercial success and Personal success

Would some argue that Commercial success is somewhat of an empty calorie? Where as personal success would be a more noble endeavour?

Great point Anon 10:35

Anonymous said...

Personal success is always a higher achievement than fiscal success no matter what part of life you are succeeding in.

right now I'm a personal faliure at scrapping because I'm not doing it. When I do get around to doing a page I'm not happy with it. So, not successful.

However, I do think of myself as being somewhat successful in the industry. I don't have name recognition, but I have made money at this. I have a achieved my goals and to me, that's successful.

Anonymous said...

I think that being successful is your own term. Honestly. I don't think there should be industry qualifications to reach this level. I feel I'm not successful yet as I have not reached all my own personal goals...as far as the industry. Yet...when I see that I'm *almost* finished with 2005 and I will have to start printing photos...then I do feel like I'm successful. (so I agree with the above poster when it comes to industry vs. personal success)

I really hate how other scrappers lump you into a category just because of your publications or lack of...dt's or lack of. Who are they to say that you are successful or not?? I think it's totally personal. IMHO

Anonymous said...

Interested in hearing how you all feel about integrity entering into the success formula.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Interesting thought. Integrity on whose side? Integrity in the way the magazines and / or manufacturers pick and choose those who becomes "successful?" or integrity as it applies to those who are trying to get a foot in the door? I don't usually see too many people who actually do anything that I would personally have a problem with while trying to obtain some success in this industry. Of course, I'm NOT inside the industry and so I'm speaking from a somewhat innocent perspective. I think I like it better that way. Of course there are always people who use some pretty blatant self-marketing, and that's totally not my style. I guess then there's also the question of whether or not it violates one's own personal integrity to pander to the magazines by submitting work that fits what they're supposedly looking for rather than what would be created for a personal album. There's a fine line, and one that I admit gets a little fuzzy to me now and then.

We all need validation on some level, at least I do. I'm not married, I have no kids and I have very few friends who scrapbook and so for me, it's very nice to feel like I'm not the only one who enjoys my work. Therein lies the lure of getting published. It's hard to see other people get their work published (usually people who already have a foot in the door, rather than the tip of a toe nail, like I do... lol) when I feel like my work is just as good in its own right and has occasionally received some pretty nice acknowledgement. Nothing lasts, however, and it's hard for me to keep that line between personal and professional success clear in my mind. Especially when it becomes obvious that mags and manufacturers do play favorites and that it's all about business.

There are so many complaints (and I admit to voicing some myself, mainly in my own mind) about favortisim and fixed contests, etc. Is it ethical for the mags to choose the winners of their contests in ways that will benefit them as a business, even if they have to fudge the lines of their stated judging requirements? Is it ethical for them to have open calls and contests when it seems obvious that there are actually very few open slots that are really available? I'm not going to try and answer that, just food for thought, I guess.

Another thought. Is it the fault of the magazine that scrapbookers get so involved in all of this that they get mental over it if they don't get a call? Is it the fault of the mag that people go crazy in debt buying the latest and greatest so that they can have some chance (however pereceived it is) of being published? It's the magazine's job to push product. It's the consumer's job to determine whether or not to buy it. That makes me think... remember that column CK used to do (or was it an article?) on how to get the look of the complex pages with latest and greatest for less time and money? That was a great column. It showed people how to substitute rather than run out and buy the latest package of $9 embellishments. (Random sidenote over ;)

I'd love to hear more thoughts on integrity, as well as business ethics in regard to recent contests and page calls.

Anonymous said...

There are some gals that have no integrity when trying to climb that industry success. It's those people I have a problem with. But on the flip side...those of us who do have a little integrity and morals realize that that's just not the way to do it. So who usually wins? Yup..the person who doesn't care how she gets there as long as she does. And the one with the standards is sitting at home wondering why she didn't get chosen. It's a total double standard.

Anonymous said...

surely the 'business' of scrapbooking is the same as any business.. she who does the dirty gets the rewards. i've worked in a lot of industries where the person who gets the promotion isnt always the best one but the one with the best way of gettinghte favour ie ass-kissing, sleeping around etc...

i'd rather have the freedom to create and scrap what i want than be dictated to by an industry mainly run by and for religious middle aged, middle class, white women with 2 kids and the perfect life. i dont like these people in real life, why should i start liking them now in order to be definied successful?

there is a lot of music out there that never makes the top 10 int he charts but we all love them and will remeber them long after the 1-hit wonders and ass kissers (millie vanillie anyone) go home