Friday, May 4, 2007

What the *bleep* is wrong with scrapping simple?

Does a scrapbooking page really have to meet a quota for product usage to gain validation?

Nothing makes me cringe more than to read negative comments about layouts in various galleries.
It's pretty darned arrogant (in my little book) to assume that just because a layout doesn't reflect your personal style that it is somehow crap. I throw up a little bit whenever someone refers to someone else's clean style as CM or Suzy or even Zielski-ish.

Here's the skinny. If we can all be different people, then why the heck can't we have different tastes when it comes to our crafting? If a person wants to put enough product on her layout that she can't even pick it up without building up her upper body strength...I say, "Rock on and do what you do!". If a person wants to breath new life into the minimalist movement, I say, "You go with your downsized self!". I don't care what someone else is doing with their layouts...either I'm inspired or I'm not.

Not finding inspiration in a layout does NOT equate to that layout being worthless.

I can't help wonder how we have slipped into this cycle of judgement. I can't help but doubt that there is anyway for this industry to pull itself up from the depth of the abyss of judgement and intolerance.

I just wanted to get that off my chest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post - as usual you've summed up my thoughts. I appreciate your writing and wish I could respond in kind. Unfortunately it's not my skill! All I can say is I agree with you!

Anonymous said...

I'm with ya up north poster. That's how I feel too. CS has an incredible gift with writing and I too can only say...I totally agree!!