Monday, June 11, 2007

What goes around...well, it comes around...sorta

Can anyone think back to the scrap industry 2-3 years ago? I can. I remember it because it was all so new to me. I was thirsty for knowledge and hungry for growth. I absorbed magazines as fast as my modest budget could afford me the opportunity to purchase them. I was so hungry that I'd even buy huge lots of older mags just to find out what I'd missed. Those were the good old days. Well, sort of.


Today, I'd be more inclined to take my magazine money and purchase a book on decoding the feline horoscope than to waste it on a CK, MM, SS, or ST. I'm sorry, the thirst has been quenched sufficiently enough to allow me to be the master of my own growth. Where as I used to avoid the magazine racks because of my inability to walk away from a scrapbooking mag, now I waltz past them with a devil-may-care attitude and dare the scrappy offerings to try to pique my interest...they've thus far failed miserably.


I had the 'opportunity', I'm using that word VERY loosely, to pop into my local Scrapping store last week. I got a doctor's appointment time mixed up and showed up an hour early, so I figured I'd pop across the parking lot to see if anyone stole my idea for a rubon sealer/dryer...no such luck. Shucks Darn. Anyway, I popped over to the store and after perusing the aisle after aisle of product that did little more than hurt my eyes and head, I headed over to the magazine rack.

Dun dun dun! I was surprised to see that the owner didn't have many copies of CK, MM, SI or ST. I figured that since the new issues had come out a little bit ago, that her sparse inventory was a result of the popularity of the magazines. Until I went over to her clearance bin. There I found many copies of several popular magazines greatly reduced by 50%...but alas still sitting there. One of the girls working there informed me that they were actually 75% off but that she hadn't gotten around to making the change on the stickers yet. Now, I'm not talking about last Christmas' issues, I'm talking about April and May issues. I'm not talking about 2 or 3 copies, I thumbed through at least 6-10 of each. This, in my opinion, was something worthy of investigation.

So, I gathered a couple of magazines (people will talk if they think that they have your money in their pockets, incidentally) and I searched out the helpful little sprite. I asked, with as much wide eyed naivete' that I could conjure up without getting nauseous, why there are so many magazines on clearance and provided the pretense that I only wanted the latest and greatest inspiration. She assured me that I was certainly getting just that and that the only reason that they'd made it to the clearance bin was that they weren't selling that well. The store sales of the scrapbooking mags had lagged so much that the owner was decreasing her order quantities and even considering only doing idea books. Information in hand, I put those wastes of tress back where I put them and scurried off to my doctor's appointment.


A person might be inclined to believe that the decrease in magazines in a store could be easily translated into an increase of money saving subscriptions. BUT, the rumors of declining subscription sales has been going around the mill for months now. One might even be inclined to believe that the popularity of online galleries has contributed to the lessened interest in scrapbooking magazines. I would be more inclined towards the later than the former.


I gave this some serious thought while I sat in the doctor's office fiddling my thumbs. It's all about economics now isn't it? Supply, demand, cost, all of that. The only problem is, that where as in the textbook economic model, demand for an item and the amount of supply of that item would effect the cost of that item, the industry tried to milk us for more than we were willing to pay, supplied more than we had a demand for and many times, ignored to cries of the consumer, instead opting to provide products that catered to a demographic that is in the minority. The result, in my opinion, has been the further decline in scrapbooker interest. I am not the least bit surprised that things are happening the way that they are, and I don't see how anyone is going to be able to fix it at this juncture.


This phenomenon is being repeated in the product sales area as well as magazine sales. Look at it:


  • 1. Magazines dictate a trend and begin to feature more and more of the same 'artists' month after month/Manufacturers, pick up on that trend and speed up the production of new product releases so that there is virtually a flooding of the market with the latest and greatest.
  • 2.Consumers complain about the trend and the fact that the same 'artists' are being over exposed in the publishing arena/ Consumers complain about the frequency of the new releases, and the fact that so many of them cater to a trend that doesn't reflect the creative preferences of the majority.
  • 3. Magazines ignore the consumer cries and continues to request fresh layouts (but publish the known scrappers pages to the greater extent) and to bombard the consumer with manufacturer advertisements geared at convincing us that we "need" to have the latest and greatest. The manufacturers ignore the consumer cries and continues to cater to the dictated trend.
  • 4. Consumers get fed up with the magazines and cancel subscriptions/ Consumers get fed up with the over saturated product market and resolve to just use what they have on hand instead of cramming more 'must have' product into their cupboards.
  • 5. The magazines, when faced with a lessened subscriber base, decide to try to find fresh faces to reinforce the current trend or to start a new one. The demographic target for their marketing shrinks to such a degree that even those who decided to preview and purchase the magazines from the newsstands month to month, give up the hope for a useful publication./The manufacturers, now facing low sales, latch on to that same minority demographic that the magazines are focused on.
  • 6. The work of the chosen demographic (eventually) becomes the meat and potatoes to the mag industry, though, the meat is no longer a London broil, but rather a lean, 99.9% fat free pork chop. The manufacturer seek to boost sales by getting the scrapping 'personalities' to endorse their product or create kits. The kits are gobbled up by much of the fandom while the ignored demographic scratches their heads in confusion.
So, what has happened to the industry? You and I are what happened! And the industry doesn't know how to handling this mas exodus. They throw more product at us. They bombard us with tools that fail again to meet a true need of the consumer. We protest by retreating back into our overstuffed craft spaces where we discover a world of product just begging to be used. When we do take a peak at their offerings weeks later, we find that they have strayed even farther from interests of the many in order to dredge out a new demographic of the minority.


I think it's a tug of war and I think that it's one that the industry will eventually lose. Why? Because we (people) have been scrapping for a lot longer that there have been magazines to tell us how to or an industry to dictate trends to us. Why? Because the magazines are afraid to stray away from the money earning potential of the tried and true 'artists'. Because the manufacturers only focus on the new and different while giving little credence to the tried and true. You'd think that if these two entities would switch business models, they'd somehow survive the impending implosion. If the manufacturers would focus on maintaining the interests of the tried and true while periodically presenting new techniques/styles as 'something new to try' instead of a "must- do trend", they might just see a return of their customer base...once we use up all of the rest of the stuff that they've crammed down our throats. If the magazines would embrace the true meaning of 'variety' and 'fresh face' then perhaps there would be some regenerated excitement about each publication. Instead of people shying away because of the confusing or uninspiring offerings, people would flock to them in order to garner a drop of inspiration from their true peers. If the magazines would publish all levels of scrapper, there might just be an increase in consumer interest based solely on the fact that there is a little bit of something for everyone.

Will all of this happen? I'd rather not hold my breath...people have died doing that. Do I want the industry to implode on itself? No, of course not, I plan on running out of stash some day. I do want the marketing execs to wake up and smell the desertion. All of this should be a wake up call for someone...but it's probably not going to be because there is no money in that. No, the money is in the hornswaggled masses who gladly gobble up all that the industry shoves down their throats. I'm sorry, I'm just not that hungry anymore.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great summary CS. I think you've really nailed what's going on in the industry. I do have to admit that I hope that my favorite companies continue to put out cool new products (since I do love the challenge / fun of creating with new supplies) but even a (recovering) supply-buying addict like me has to admit, lately it's just too much.

This industry started to go downhill when money became more important than putting out a quality and useful product (mags and manufacturers alike). Now, everyone wants a piece of the pie and we're overwhelmed and not a little bit disgusted.

As much as it hurts a hoarder like me to admit it, I've started to wonder recently if the fact that I have too much of the latest and greatest is the reason that I'm not scrapping as much. I can scour the galleries and mags for inspiration all I want, and I *want* to scrap, but when I'm home from work with free time on my hands, I just feel "eh" about it.

Last night, while thumbing thru my July CK during commercial breaks (and it's saying something that CK wasn't the first priority here), I just thought, this is all so stupid. It's paper and glue. A hobby. Look at how I've let it become so important. What a waste of frustrated ambition trying to get into the publication game. So, while I have no plans to chuck it all and start a yoga studio, this decline and all of the chatter surrounding it has certainly got me putting my little hobby back in its proper place in my life. I just want it to be fun and friendly again.

The Conscious Scrapbooker said...

Well, 6:09, you can take comfort in knowing that you aren't alone at all! I am right where you are with the scrapping. I am more than a little embarrassed about the near breakdowns and wasted tears that I shed trying to prove myself in the online arena.

I took power away from myself by allowing myself to so influenced by the industry's superficialities. I cringe now when I hear people talk about the latest and greatest and how they can't wait to get their paws on it. I used to be that person (though significantly less outwardly chipper)...now I am just trying to keep my head above water while I swim in this sea of "must have" items that have done nothing more than cause me grief and turmoil.

You are not alone lady, and I don't think that I'm the only person in this room with you either.

Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

Nope,you are not alone. I look at my huge stash of "must haves" and I just want to pack it all up. I don't even want to scrap anymore. Guilt over all the money I have spent keeps me from tossing it all. Too many choices keeps me from scrapping.

I remember when one of the well-known scrappers packed it in and quit. No one could understand why. I do.

I don't want the industry to implode, but I do wish it would slow down and that acceptance would come into play. We all give lip service to the idea that there is no "wrong" way to scrap. I wonder how many women out there really feel that way? It seems the division between "Susy and Debbie" is getting wider and wider.

What I hate most is that I let a community of strangers make me feel like what I do is not good enough. It has completely taken the joy out of scrapbooking for me. I just want it back.

The Conscious Scrapbooker said...

I caught a link to an Aussie site last night and I was intrigued by the discussion that was going on about US scrappers. The concensus seemed to be that while our (the US scrappers)layouts are aestetically pleasing, they possesed a fake quality to them. Comments were made about the staged feel, the over emphasis on design principles, the cookie cutter approach, the overall 'one-way-to successful-scrapbooking' approach that this industry touts came under serious fire on that site, and I sadly had to agree with them. So little emphasis is placed on scrapping from the heart nowadays. It seems that scrapping with the trend is more important.

I propose a campaigne of honest scrapping. Honesty with yourself. Honesty with your memories. Scrap what you like and to heck with the rest.

You hit the nail right on the head 8:47. We get wrapped up in what the community of faceless peers think about what we do. The flip side of that jagged pill is that the faceless community has grown so egocentric that they feel that they have a right to pass judgement on what others in the community create. Doesn't sound like much of a community to me.

Anonymous said...

8:47 - (this is 6:09 again), I could have written your post exactly! Sometimes I just want to pack it all up too, but I have that same guilt thing. And I still love the hobby, if I could ever get past feeling like my pages have to look a certain way in order to be good enough. I've been published and gotten nods in some major contests just doing my own thing so I'm annoyed with myself for no longer thinking that thing is good enough.

CS - I read that aussi thread too after it was linked off of scrap smack. Very interesting, and I agree with a lot of it. I feel like a lot of the reason why I haven't been published lately is because my work doesn't fit that mold that they were discussing. I'm not graphic and I'm not freestyle - I'm a blend of both of them and I don't think my work looks like anyone else's, which brings me back to my struggle with feeling like it's not good enough. How ironic is it that there are some of us who are feeling badly about our work for being unique and original in an industry where everyone cries out for unique and original but only embraces the "it" look? I'm not saying that my layouts are super duper awesome, but they're good. Solid design with regular un-staged pictures, 2-page layouts that aren't drowning in white space and no product puke.

I wanted to go home and scrap last night, but that "eh" feeling came back again so I watched 2 episodes of Hell's Kitchen and a made for TV Disney movie. lol. Yes, so very productive :-P I think we need scrap shrinks!

Anonymous said...

I miss the message board. I miss the family that used to be a part of scrapbooking. The Aussie's on that thread were right, they are much less concerned with perfection. The layouts in their magazines prove it. Sometimes cuts are crooked, sometimes photos are dim, but they actually scrap in an organic sort of way that the industry hasn't yet killed over there. But many of their layouts wouldn't get much praise on most of the big websites.

Anonymous said...

8:47 here again. I just checked out the Aussie site. Their gallery, makes me want to scrap again. It makes me just want to cut and glue and be happy about it!

I don't want to care whether other faceless people like my work or not. I want to love it myself and scrap again for me. Honestly, I don't care if I never get praise on another LO. I just want to post them and not give a rat's @ss!

Anonymous said...

Insightful comments. I love to read smart dialogue.

On topic, I have years of unused latest and greatest stuff in my craft space. So much, it just pisses me off just to look at it sometimes. I know I'll probably die before I ever get to use most of it.

I wish I could do an "I Dream of Jeannie" blink and have it all used at once in wonderful memorable scrap pages. Publication worthy of course-lol.

Nice blog. I hope it stays.

The Conscious Scrapbooker said...

Thanks 9:36! You can be rest assured that as long as I'm opinionated this blog will stand. Nobody in my house wants to hear me rant about scrapbooking, so this is my soapbox. I'm glad that I have people to share it with though.

Anonymous said...

I'm another scrapper who has allowed a community of strangers to doubt my ability as a scrapper, and to fret over whether my layouts are good enough. I remember having a massive anxiety attack before I attended a CKU in 2006-I had this bizarre picture in my head that I wasn't "worthy" of attending CKU-is that crazy, or what?

Good for the Aussie scrappers remaining true to themselves!

Anonymous said...

Sorry but if the industry is "falling" then why is the industry in fact GROWING? *You* are even saying there is an abundant supply of product, ideas, books, users and companies... I could go on. Is that not a GROWING industry rather than a declining one you describe??? I think you are over thinking it. If you choose not to stampead with the rest to get pubbed, fine. But what is so wrong with those who do? So what? Why does it get so under your skin? If you are scrapping just for yourself and don't purchase new products then why such energy vested into this blog? It seems like the goth girl who dresses in black to go unnoticed when really she wants nothing more.