Monday, June 18, 2007

Why do I scrapbook?

I truely feel, in every rickety bone in my rapidly aging body, that I lost sight of this question (and it's answer) some time ago.

Why do I scrapbook?

Yes, I want to preserve memories...cliche' as all heck but truth none the less.
Yes, I need the creative outlet.

But why scrapbooking? Why not photography?

I'm still trying to figure it out folks and it appears that the answer is still buried under my mountain of past mistakes. The cost of losing site of my goal has been great indeed. The place that has been hit the hardest is my wallet with my self esteem taking the next harshest blow.
In an attempt to follow the trends, I accumulated whatever the industry told me that I needed to have...and I still have it. While on my search for peer validation, I allowed myself to forget to count my own personal validation amongst the most important. I take full ownership; I did this to myself and I am the only person that will be able to heal all of the wounds that I've allowed to be inflicted.

I feel as if while chasing my dream for 15 seconds of fame, glory and validation, I lost myself to this hobby...but not in a good way. I've been so far gone that even now, 9 months after my discovery of what my ambitions were doing to me, I still can't quite get it together. I know that I love to scrapbook, but I feel as if something is holding me back.

I spoke to Dorkfish yesterday and she urged me to consider throwing in a few layouts for the Lucky 7 contest at SB.com. To be honest, I'm afraid that I will back slide into the same tar pit I just crawled out of. The upside to entering is that there is no product requirement, the down side is that I'm not sure I'm quite ready to make a move that would require emotional detachment from my entries. The downside is that even if I did enter, and did pick up an honorable mention (I dare not dream too big), it would only result in my acquiring yet another Scrapbooking GC that I don't really have a use for. Who would've ever thought I would have a hard time picking up scrapbooking stuffs?

So, why do I scrapbook? Obviously, I scrapbook for myself. I have a medical condition that may make scrapbooking difficult one day, so I hope to preserve as many memories as I can, while I can. Is it selfish to admit that I don't scrapbook for the subjects of my scrapbook pages? Maybe, but oh well, I've been called worse. I know that there is much more to "why" than I've stated, but, for the life of me, I can't figure it out. Yes, I would like some cheese with my whine, preferably Pepper Jack.

Remember when you first started scrapping? Remember how much purpose you felt? Remember how driven you were? Where'd that all go? Surely, accumulating ridiculous amounts of stash can't be the sole cause of that loss of drive...even if it's accompanied by a steady lack of validation from the public. You know, the reason for the loss isn't nearly as important as what needs to be done to get it back. One of the posters here commented that she had discovered the joy of scrapping once again...I want that...I'm working my way back to that.

In the interim, I will continue to poor my bleedin' heart out here and commune with those who see similarities between my plight and their own. One day, I'll be able to scrapbook again without hearing that nagging little voice that always asks me why I'm doing it. One day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, sometimes I have a hard time thinking of an answer to that question :-P I like to have the story that goes with the photos, and I like to have pretty pages to look at. But I'm definitely still looking to recapture the "joy of scrapbooking."

I did a layout this weekend that I'm pleased with (used some old stuff, even!) and as I was working, I actually stopped and asked myself, "am I really enjoying this?" It wasn't that I wasn't enjoying it, it was just that I was still feeling pressure to turn out a super-duper-A+ layout. This isn't even about publication or online praise, I've just allowed everything to get my own expectations up so high that I can't even make myself happy, and I should be the only one who counts, right?

Good thoughts for today. I think that if I'm consciously thinking of WHY I want to be making layouts, that I'll find the enjoyment again :)

Anonymous said...

"One of the posters here commented that she had discovered the joy of scrapping once again...I want that...I'm working my way back to that."

This is by no means a miracle recipe but this is how I did it :

* tried & suceeded in the publishing, the DT, the freelance article writing thing with a couple of French magazines (I guess it's easier here)
* realized that I didn't feel joy with that ... actually I felt trapped, somewhat enslaved with their monthly requested layouts. It was becoming like homework or a job and the money factor ruined everything.
* realized that I was probably getting lame and narcissic and that my child thought she was a star just because her face was in a silly magazine.
* remembered that I felt more joy when I shared a LO with my family or close girlfriends than with anonymous readers
* decided it was an interesting experience but lacked the true meaning of SB.
DETOX PROCESS :
* stopped all magazine subscriptions ... have no idea of the latest trends !
* get my inspiration outside the SB planet
* made my scrapbooking something intimate ... no more publishing, no posting LO's on sites/blog and checking comments(!), no huge crops where everyone competes, just a few close friends with whom I scrap
* not looking to make a beautiful artsy unique knock your socks off LO. Just focusing on telling stories and having fun with my stash. No constraints whatsoever: anything that strikes my fancy is ok...... politically incorrect, cheesy, plain Jane, colorful layouts etc.
* going to non SB stores with an open mind ... you never know what unexpensive, unusual thing could be perfect
* remembering that LO's shouldn't be expensive

and now I'm free at last !

The Conscious Scrapbooker said...

Thank you for your inspirational instuctions for detoxing 8:00pm! I hope to oneday get where you are. I did manage to crank out 2 layouts a couple of weeks ago, but I was under heavy medications so I didn't really care about what others may think. I tried this weekend to scrap, sans meds and it was just so hard to get that little nagging, approval seeking voice out of my head.

One day, those of us who want to be free will be...and it will be a glorious day indeed!

Thanks for sharing!
CS

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I scrapbook because I'm still chasing that dream. I've had some pretty big success this year publication wise and it's even surprised me. Now I want a break but feel that if I stop submitting like I have been I'll kill the momentum and never be able to get back on the track.

The Conscious Scrapbooker said...

It really is a shame 2:02 that the industry is presented as such an unforgiveable entity. Why should it be that once you're "in" you have to fight to stay "in"? If the industry actually accepted the true variety in scrapbooking, I don't think that this problem would be as prevalent as it is. There is no hope what so ever for a scrapper like me who changes her style with her shoes...I'm an inconsistent entity and it doesn't matter how schnazzy my pages are...I am physically unable to follow the trends because my attention span has been likened to that of a gnat on crack. Oh well.