Friday, November 2, 2007

I'm a size 10 scrapbooker in size 16 pants...

Does that make ANY sense to ANYBODY? Sadly, I think it might.

One of my most consistent pet peeves with the online community (and the world actually) is the importance/significance/validation given to those who fall within a particular "approved" size range.

It would appear that there are certain scrapbooking character traits that are attributed to an individual's dress size nowadays. Color me befuddled; I just don't get it. Judging by the emphasis that is put on the weight and physical appearance of scrapbookers, the smaller you are, the more talent you have for paper crafting.

Don't believe me?

Go to the Scrap Smack Blog. Notice that when the rebel scrappers who post there are attacked by the industry 'trolls' one of the first insults that come flying out is usually a declaration of the all consuming jealousy on the part of the rebels. Then next insult usually refers to the rebels being fat and bored, or fat and lazy, or fat and *insert your favorite adjective*. Usually, the troll will wrap all of that venom up in a tidy little "you're untalented" blanket. All of this insight...and without having seen the person to who they are passing this assertion. Wow. Step back John Edwards!

Look, I don't care if people think that size matters. I don't...well...for most things...I'll leave it at that, thank you very much! All I'm saying is that the print media, hollywood and the other demons of the entertainment world have done enough to tear down the self esteems and sense of self worth of women to last a lifetime. Do we really need to help them branch into our hobbying as well? Really, does the fact that a scrapbookers' thighs touch have any impact on whether or not she can execute her layout in a way that is pleasing to at least her eyes? Does a deep seated appreciation for the life altering effects of Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey (no irony intended...I promise) have anything to do with whether or not someone's opinon of the industry is valid?

My husband considers me as a REAL woman at a size 16... according to some of those in scrapbooking...I'm 2 real women rolled into one. According to some in scrapbooking, I am an untalented scrapper, regardless of my art and design education. According to some scrapbookers, the validity of my statements about the industry is directly proportionate to the proximity of my right thigh to my left thigh. Since they (my thighs) have a close personal relationship with each other, my statements hold no value. Somehow, the lack of airflow is depriving my inner artist of oxygen vital to a hieghtened creativity. I guess it's the free flowing air of those with chicken legs that allow the artist within the flourish.

For the record, I happen to like my asphyxiated inner artist, though I would like to buy smaller pants for once.

In the eyes of moi...the size of my thighs only impacts 1) the comfort level I experience when cramming my mass into those kiddie rides my daughter insists I accompany her on, 2) the number of options I have when shopping for slacks, 3) my ability (and/or desire) to where bikinis, spandex or mini skirts/shorts, and 4) the amount of food I shovel into my mouth.

My thighs have no vote, none what so ever, when it comes to my ability to raise my kids properly, my ability to pull off an aesthetically pleasing scrapbooking page, my ability to effectively voice my opinion, nor my worth as a scrapbooker.

This should be common sense...but it's not.

Why does it matter when it really shouldn't?

Because the online scrapbooking arena has been converted into a big competition. Because to some, the quickest way to hurt someone (or discredit them) is to strike an area that is perceived to be a weak point. Because the industry has been influenced by the film/media industry's veiw of beauty and worth and passed it off as our own. Because there are some who do gage their self worth (and yours) by the number that pops up on that bathroom scale.

But wait...this coin has 2 faces...

Equally as disturbing is the negative stigma that has been attached to the physically fit scrapbooker by those "less toned". According to some who fall into the more cherubic scrapbooking demographic, a skinny scrapbooker is somehow superficial, negligent, attention hungry and full of his/herself.

It's all just plain silliness that really should stop!

Imagine if the food preparation industry used the same rediculous parameters for it's personalities? Would there be a barefoot Contessa, a Paula Dean, a Rachael Ray? No, because the trolls would be telling them that they they need to toss a salad instead of grilling a chicken breast. While I personally enjoy the chefs that look like they eat their own food more so than those who look like they only eat while hitting level 10 at a 35% incline on their treadmills. That's just me. Does that mean that I think the slender chefs are somehow incompetent? No, all that means is that I prefer to watch cooking shows that allow me to follow recipies without feeling the need to workout.

Again...that's just me...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's ridiculous, isn't it? And no one ever considers that people can be healthy even if they don't wear a size 4. I'm not skinny (nor am I all that big). I have big bones, bad genes and a great love for cookies. But, I eat healthy 95% of the time and I exercise 6-7 times a week.

It drives me nuts that so much of a person's worth in ANY forum, let alone scrapbooking, is determined by his / her appearance. Especially weight for women. It sucks. I hate it.

There are too many wonderful and talented people who have self-worth issues because of this type of mentality. Not that I'd know anything about that ;)

Tam, I am said...

I am also a size 10 trapped in a size 16 body! Thank goodness my size doesn't define who I am!

Anonymous said...

Hi--Are you still posting? If not, thanks for everything you've written. You have a real gift for words and a wonderful insight into scrapbooking.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I have just found a link for your blog and have been sat here reading and what a wonderful blog you have! I shall add you to my favourites and continue the read when I have some more time...perhaps small bits at a time but all most enjoyable reads I am sure! I too must ask...are you still posting and if so..have you another location?

Anonymous said...

Hellooooooooo are you still posting ?

Anonymous said...

Hey (no bullying lol) but will you post again please, your insight is truthful but funny too.

Youre a great writer! Hope to see a new post soon.

RosieB said...

I just found your blog; really enjoying reading through your archive, lots of common sense here! seems you won't be posting any more but thanks for sharing so much, peace and happiness to you and yours

Anonymous said...

Hi, just found your blog today.
Just wondering if this is your last post? AS I cant seem to find your recent ones? Are you still posting!? eager to read more.
Thanks