Monday, May 14, 2007

Is Scrapbooking Losing Ground?

I received my Joann's flier last week and I was somewhat shocked at what I slowly began to realize about it. If you have the flier, go ahead and open it up. Do you remember this time last year? The fliers that were published 'back in the day' had scrapbooking offerings literally spilling off of their dedicated 2-page spreads. You could find DCWV paper pack sales on the front page and maybe a tote or something elsewhere besides the 'scrapping' deals' page. I used to spend a few minutes just trying to take in all that was offered and creating a list of wants and needs based on the offerings. By the time I'd weeded out the wants from the needs, a good 20 minutes had elapsed, but it was time well spent in my opinion.

Now, you need a magnifying glass and a lot less deliberation. There is hardly anything being offered up. I'm not saying that there is little that interests me, I'm saying there is little there period.

The Michael's fliers, prior to Martha's line being launched, seemed to be a showcase platform for jewelry making and floral arranging supplies with scrapbooking getting a meager honorable mention.

Is this the first sign of the industry's imminent implosion? All of these years of systematic over saturation have to be taking it's toll in some way, shape or form. Is this the first sign? Or is it just the result of a slump in interest on the behalf of the scrapbooker? Perhaps, the consumer has grown tired of the way that they sells much of their products at a price that is10-20% above their competitor's (you know, you have to compensate for that 'generous', but limited 40% off coupon)? Perhaps all of the coupon word play and restrictions that M's and J's corporate implemented in the past have finally convinced many of us that it's just not worth it? Maybe all of those resolutions to freeze our wallets have resulted in a perceived lack of interest in the hobby? Is the online shopping arena finally gaining ground with their attractive sales and shipping deals?

Whatever it is, I know that it's not my imagination. I used to go to Joann's for lunch a couple of times a week (you absorb far less calories that way) and I would have to maneuver through the crowded scrapbooking section every single time. Now, when I occasionally go there at lunch, it's like a ghost town, though I must admit that I walk past the scrapbooking stuff enroute to the jewelry finding and beads. If I had a nickel for every time that I thought that now would be a the perfect time to get hoard happy...well, I'd have a lot of nickels.

If this is the first step towards implosion, then pray tell, what is the next one? Is this a good thing? Or will this come back and bite us in the behind? Will this atrophying (if that is indeed what it is) eventually expand to encompass the beloved online arena as well?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think that the reason could be the movement back to simplicity-photos and stories? Its like we all became overweight on all the stuff we have, and now its time for the diet. I found myself (the biggest shopper on the planet) not interested in shopping for supplies. I will never keep up, I will never have all the latest and greatest. You know what, that is okay. I need to scrap for me, for my son, for recording history. I think our time is just too precious and wasting it shopping and slapping as many supplies on the page as possible, just isn't working for anyone anymore.


I also think that people have found their own websites to be active with. People need interaction and I think that they are finding small communities to get that.

The Conscious Scrapbooker said...

I agree that our past affliction with scrap-gluttony has brought about a lot of the non-shopping that is going on now. Gone are the days when I'd shop for bulk lots of adhesive refills simply because it was cheaper to do so. I now value space way too much and it doesn't help that I realized last year that the more stuff you have the harder it is to make a decision.

Life is too short for unnecessary shopping.

Anonymous said...

I think a lot of the problem is also that, the Martha line aside, Joanns and Ms just don't really get anything new that frequently. I very rarely go to any of the big craft stores for SB supplies for that reason. I already know what they have, and I know I already have anything that I liked / would use from what they carry. It's not worth the time of a visit just to use a coupon on adhesive, which they normally don't have in stock anyway. I'm sure the number of people like me is only increasing.

Anonymous said...

I agree that the move toward less embellishments on layouts is one factor, but also, as 1:14pm said, J's and M's haven't gotten much new product in their sb section. Of course, with Martha's line debuting at M's,that is a difference.

I have also noticed that the bookstores that I frequent have more beading and jewelry craft mags prominently displayed, with the few copies of CK, MM, SS kind of pushed into the background. Could be that J's and M's are emphasizing their beading sections if they are getting heavier traffic for that hobby.

There is so much product out there, and how much paper, etc can we use? For instance, how many BG knockoff papers with huge flowers, bold patterns do we need/want?

Maybe more consolidation and/or contraction is in the future of the industry. Maybe more scrappers are getting off the latest/greatest/gotta have it merry-go-round, and perhaps that's a good thing.

P.S. off-topic, but I really like the tone of this blog. It's a pleasure to read a blog that is so thoughtful.

The Conscious Scrapbooker said...

Thank you so much 1:52! I know that in the past few days my intentions have been called to question and my method of writing has been referred to in less than favorable terms. It's really good to have the validation of people who can understand (not necessarily agree with) the way I structure my posts. This blog has proven to be so therapudic for me because I am getting things off my chest and out of my head. I'm glad that there are those who find value in what I chose to blabber about!